Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
pH level has more to do with things like tomatoes. I am not up on the
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #30451 at 11:27 am on Aug 17, 2018
level for fruit although I have often not added any acid to my jams--just forgot more than anything.
I would put this behind you and start over. One rule not to be broken is never double a batch. I am sure this didn't happen with you 'cause you used two different types of pectin.
I have been buying my pectin in the jars they have now instead of individual packages. And as I said, for jams I prefer powdered where you dissolve it in the fruit first, then add sugar and boil.
I used to make jelly (blackberry) with no added pectin and you "can" do that with almost any fruit but you have to cook it to the gel stage (the state where the fruit fibers and sugar "mesh") and your number of jars is much smaller than with added pectin. Apples are certainly one jelly you can make without adding pectin since that is what most commercial pectin is made from!! Peels, especially.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30451. Jam, Jelly and Canning Experts >>> Help. - MarilynFL - 1:07pm on 08/16/18 (10)
- Mistral is the real expert, but... - MariaDNoCA - 11:44pm on 08/16/18
- I have REALLY been trying to find the answer to your situation from the start. - Charley - 12:24am on 08/17/18
- Maria & Charley, thank you. I thought pantry storage also required correct pH, not just a seal. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:31am on 08/17/18
- Acid levels affect gel formation - MariaDNoCA - 1:04am on 08/17/18
- pH level has more to do with things like tomatoes. I am not up on the - Charley - 11:27am on 08/17/18
- If it is jelly, with commercial pectin, fruit juice, sugar and . . . - mistral - 1:25am on 08/19/18
- Perfect! Thank you, mistral. Jars are going into the pantry. - MarilynFL - 11:58am on 08/19/18
- Very interesting about lower acid peaches. Did not know canning is not recommended. Thanks Mistral [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:16pm on 08/19/18
- Nor did I but it turns out you probably wouldn't have chosen them for jam anyway-- - Charley - 5:42pm on 08/19/18
- Yes, I am with you--those low acid peaches are not very good canned or jammed . . . - mistral - 7:01pm on 08/24/18