Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
REC: Lemon Loaf - a beautifully glazed loaf, great for a hostess gift.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30457 at 4:53 pm on Aug 20, 2018
This is a family favorite I've made for years. Very nice as a gift, and looks good on a buffet table, dessert table, pot luck, etc.
Adapted from: Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, 1980
Makes 1 loaf
1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp sugar
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. From lemon, grate 1 Tbsp peel and squeeze 4 1/2 tsp of lemon juice; set aside.
3. Grease 9” x 5” loaf pan.
4. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and 1 1/2 cup sugar with a whisk. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in zest.
5. In a small bowl, beat eggs slightly. Stir in milk. Stir this mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Do not over-mix!
6. Spoon batter into pan. Bake 1 1/4 hours.
7. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan.
8. In a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, heat lemon juice and 2 Tbsp sugar to boiling. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. With pastry brush, brush sugar mixture evenly over top of bread.
Serve warm, or cool completely to serve later.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 30457. REC: Lemon Loaf - a beautifully glazed loaf, great for a hostess gift. - Michael in Phoenix - 4:53pm on 08/20/18 (3)
- It IS an old fave. Also good with nuts in it. Do you remember when Marilyn bought 2 million little - Marg CDN2 - 6:16pm on 08/20/18
- :) [NT] - AngAk1 - 3:55am on 08/22/18
- Nice! [NT] - AngAk1 - 3:56am on 08/22/18