Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Posted to Thread #30463 at 1:27 am on Aug 28, 2018
Yield: 6 portions (as condiment)
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
1 1/4 cups olive oil (divided)
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic, minced
3/4 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 of a jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced
1 1/2 tsp ginger, fresh, grated
1) Working in batches, blanch (par cook) the cherry tomatoes in 1 cup of very hot olive oil. Immediately place the tomatoes into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and loosen the skin. Peel and drain on paper towels. Halve any larger tomatoes. Set aside.
2) In a saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil. Add the sugar and salt and simmer until dissolved. Set aside.
3) Heat the remaining olive oil in a separatr saucepan until nearly smoking. Season with the mustard seeds, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, and turmeric. Stir constantly until the flavor is released, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the garlic.
4) Add the tomatoes and spice mixture along with the green onions, jalapeno, and ginger to the vinegar mixture.
5) Allow the flavors to blend before serving. Serve in a bowl at room temperature.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30463. Are there any of the smaller tomatoes (grape, cherry, etc) that are good for roasting. And by that, - MarilynFL - 12:07pm on 08/26/18 (9)
- I find the skins on grape tomatoes too tough - judy-mass - 5:57pm on 08/26/18
- Thank you, J. I've seen some pretty yellow ones...just love how the flavor intensifies when - MarilynFL - 10:10pm on 08/26/18
- Did you try roasting your neighbor's tomatoes? They just might be more tender. . . - mistral - 8:56pm on 08/26/18
- No...never tried on homegrown, only store.I didn't want to waste their bounty if - MarilynFL - 10:07pm on 08/26/18
- Quick trick for peeling cherry tomatoes is using a deep fryer - Tess - 1:40pm on 08/27/18
- Oh my, I have roasted all sorts of tomatoes for years. Usually, I turn then into tomato sauce - KarenNoCA - 8:50pm on 08/27/18
- ooh. that sounds promising. Watch, now no one will offer me a big honking bag of tomatoes. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:34am on 08/28/18
- Rec: Pickled Cherry Tomatoes - Tess - 1:27am on 08/28/18
- I'm trying out an heirloom called Atomic this year - Richard in Cincy - 2:33pm on 09/01/18