Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Peach and Blueberry Crisp with Spiced-Pecan Topping...
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #11494 at 10:12 pm on Jul 25, 2008
Haven't tried this yet, but it's gotten high ratings.
PEACH AND BLUEBERRY CRISP WITH SPICED-PECAN TOPPING
Unlike most recipes for fruit crisp, which feed a large crowd, this one, baked in a 9-inch pan, is perfect for smaller households or gatherings.
Be sure to use room-temperature berries. Cold fruit straight from the refrigerator will prevent your dessert from baking evenly.
2 oz. (4 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened; more for the pan
3 oz. (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. table salt
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
3 cups (about 1 lb.) room-temperature blueberries, washed and drained on paper towels
3 medium peaches (about 1 lb.), halved, pitted, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch square metal or ceramic baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp. of the salt. With your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture readily clumps together when pressed. Mix in the pecans.
In a large bowl, toss the blueberries and peaches. In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar with the cornstarch, nutmeg, and the remaining 1/8 tsp. salt and toss this mixture with the fruit.
Spread the fruit into the prepared baking pan. Pressing the streusel into small lumps, sprinkle it over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is bubbling in the center and the topping is crisp and well browned, 45 to 50 minutes.
Cool slightly and serve warm.
Serving suggestions: ...serve with vanilla-bean ice cream.
From Fine Cooking 93, pp. 72
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- Lucky you, Maria. Rec: Spiced Peaches - Pat-NoCal - 8:55pm on 07/25/08
- Reminds me of one of my favorite movies... - Michael in Phoenix - 10:24pm on 07/25/08
- Ooh, I love that movie! One of the few that is just like the book. - Lana in FL - 3:17pm on 07/26/08
- This is one I've never seen... I read the synopsis but it sounds like an awful B movie... - cheezz - 5:02pm on 07/26/08
- I quite like corny movies (was going to say cheesy :) )... - Lana in FL - 7:52pm on 07/26/08
- I don't think it's awful, and by a long shot. Well written, and, IMHO, very well acted... - Michael in Phoenix - 11:44pm on 07/26/08
- Read the book. It has ovely circular logic and symmetry to it. Movie was well done too, - MarilynFL - 3:29pm on 07/27/08
- That should be "lovely"...not a reference to eggs. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:30pm on 07/27/08
- Only you, LOL! [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 4:12pm on 07/27/08
- I've read it twice, with my boys. Good Friday-night-pizza movie. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 6:25pm on 07/27/08
- okey dokey... I'll add it to my NetFlix list :) [NT] - cheezz - 1:28am on 07/28/08
- Peach and Raspberry Crisp, Barefoot Contessa [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 9:00pm on 07/25/08
- How about freezing some to use in smoothies later. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:36pm on 07/25/08
- Rec: Warm Peach and Prosciutto Salad (michael Chiarello) - barb_b - 9:54pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Peach and Blueberry Crisp with Spiced-Pecan Topping... [LINK] - Meryl - 10:12pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Good N Gooey Peach Cobbler [LINK] - Meryl - 10:17pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Peaches and Nectarines with Rosemary and Honey Syrup [LINK] - Meryl - 10:22pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Peach & Raspberry Cobbler with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust... - charlie - 10:38pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Bourbon Laced Tipsy Chicken with Peaches... - charlie - 10:43pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Peach Chutney... - charlie - 10:46pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Spiced Pork Chops & Peaches... - charlie - 10:48pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Pêches Cardinal. (Poached Peaches with Raspberry Sauce [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 10:55pm on 07/25/08
- Peach Crostata, from the old Gail's [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 11:10pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Cherry Claufutti.....DH adores this - you can make it with peaches [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 11:40pm on 07/25/08
- REC: Spicy Peach Preserves - MarkinHouston - 2:38am on 07/26/08
- I'll vouch for these, good stuff. First thing I ever canned. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:36am on 07/26/08
- Oh my gosh - these all sound so good! Thank you! - MariaDNoCA - 4:48pm on 07/26/08