Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #11491 at 1:10 pm on Jul 26, 2008
Sorry, it is all South African sort of humour.....slap (pronounced sl-UP) chips are a favourite there eaten with malt vinegar and salt, home made and limp not terrible brown (It takes a special knack to make them I think)........we used to sail in the cold water......hobie cats, windsurfing etc and afterwards a shot or two of "OU'BEES" old brown sherry and a serving of slap chips was prolly the best thing...
but lots of folk who live there love slap chips too even if they don't sail...
Cape Aguhlas is the Southern most tip of the whole African continent...(we happened to sail there a lot and had a holiday house there too) at the wee windswept beach-shack restuarant they served slap chips.
Melk Tert is as South African as any bobotie or potjie etc...basically a custard tart.
Soooo being home-sick and thinking of Lana and her crunchie posts, getting slap chips delivered from the restuarant here in the Caribbean (when they are usually brown and very crisp) had my wacky sense of humour (and boredom too, I guess) go off kilter.....
This happens ... if one is not from a certain part of the globe a few short sentences are not understood easily by all....sorry for the loooong explanation.
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11491. LOL LANNA...i am having a giggle ..just eating the worst /best 'slap-chips' since Cape Aguhlas..... - joanietoo - 5:07pm on 07/25/08 (21)
- Lana in FL...sorry, typing and laughing and eating don't go [NT] - joanietoo - 5:19pm on 07/25/08
- Who knew limp chips could make joanie so silly! [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:46pm on 07/25/08
- Oh I am so bored, work so slow today...I read that as 'Chimp Lips'.....need a drink me thinks! [NT] - joanietoo - 6:29pm on 07/25/08
- joanie, stop and look down. Are you sure there isn't a drink in front of you already? - MarilynFL - 6:57pm on 07/25/08
- Look at the post above for margahooties.... me thinks you need one :) [NT] - cheezz - 11:36pm on 07/25/08
- Maybe I need a drink so I can understand.... [NT] - Music City Missy - 7:47pm on 07/25/08
- melk tert [NT] [LINK] - rvb - 11:09am on 07/26/08
- That looks a good recipe RVB...with a sort of shortbread crust...one can make it in puff pastry too. - joanietoo - 1:19pm on 07/26/08
- I don't even like melktert, and this recipe looks good... - Lana in FL - 3:11pm on 07/26/08
- Thanks for the explanation Rick - I was afraid Joanie was having a seizure! [NT] - cheezz - 4:46pm on 07/26/08
- MCM>>>>>> - joanietoo - 1:10pm on 07/26/08
- OK, now that makes sense. I just thought you had started your weekend - orchid - 2:07pm on 07/26/08
- Thanks for the explaination - now I want to try slap chips & I love custard so melktert [NT] - Music City Missy - 7:23pm on 07/26/08
- Meee too...although I'm a bit slap-happy now. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:32pm on 07/27/08
- LOL Mar...cant say 'slap chips' the way one says slap happy...... - joanietoo - 5:49pm on 07/27/08
- "slap happy" comes from the 1930's, and refers to someone who - PatBastrop - 9:22pm on 07/27/08
- Pat's definition is correct, but I use it like "silly, goofy, happy..." [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:40am on 07/28/08
- Huh? [NT] - cheezz - 11:37pm on 07/25/08
- Oh Joanie, I miss those almost more than anything..... - Lana in FL - 3:06pm on 07/26/08
- Lana, tell me the name, if I go home in Dec I'll make the first stop there...love calamari. [NT] - joanietoo - 5:50pm on 07/27/08
- Sorry, Joanie, I can't remember its name. :( If I do I'll let you know. [NT] - Lana in FL - 1:17am on 07/28/08