Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Cyn, here's one I've made several times now. I'm afraid it might seem confusing, but
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #11508 at 3:28 pm on Jul 27, 2008
just forge ahead. If you've made other breads, you can make sourdough. This recipe fives a lot of detail.
I find sourdough takes a longer time to rise no matter what the directions say, but it's worth the wait.
The percent hydration is lost on me. It has to do with how wet the starter is. It can be just moist, like a soft dough, or very wet, like a batter. One is supposedly more sour than the other. (don't ask me which).
Once you have a feel for how moist the finished dough should be you'll have no problems.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11508. Who has a good recipe for sourdough bread that won't confuse the heck out of me? - CynUpstateNY - 2:54pm on 07/27/08 (16)
- Cyn, here's one I've made several times now. I'm afraid it might seem confusing, but [LINK] - Joe - 3:28pm on 07/27/08
- Thanks, Joe- think I could use all white flour? DH doesn't like rye. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:59pm on 07/28/08
- I'm sure you could, but you might sneak in a little rye for character. My regular French bread, - Joe - 2:21pm on 07/28/08
- Thanks, I'll add a bit of whole wheat (which I already have). Thanks, also, for - CynUpstateNY - 3:18pm on 07/28/08
- I started the dough at 8:00 and took the last batch out of the oven at 6:00. I tried to do other - Joe - 4:05pm on 07/28/08
- Your home must have smelled sooooooo good. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 8:25pm on 07/28/08
- 30 loaves of bread in one day is mind boggling! do you have multiple ovens? Who is minding the - AngAk - 2:16pm on 07/29/08
- Ang, I commuted back and forth between the store and home between batches, LOL - Joe - 4:03pm on 07/29/08
- do you still need shrimp ideas? found this for shrimp salad in cuke cups by Heather SF - AngAk - 6:10pm on 07/29/08
- Also, those lavendar mojitos just seem so right for a wedding drink... [NT] - AngAk - 6:11pm on 07/29/08
- Yum! I've settled on some pretty simple shrimp dips, but maybe you can add Heather's to 11369 [NT] - Joe - 10:28pm on 07/29/08
- He's going to have a TON of food. I say we all arrange to meet near Joe's and crash the wedding! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:05am on 07/30/08
- Everyone MAY starve! Too bad...LOL, like to have seen the flour storm [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 9:33pm on 07/28/08
- Oh NO! My worst fear with any event is that there won't be enough food! You're RIGHT, Luisa, - Joe - 12:30am on 07/30/08
- Oh Joe, Joe, Joe...... Please.....PLEASE try and......... [NT] [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 12:52am on 07/30/08
- LOL! [NT] - Joe - 9:59am on 07/30/08