Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
OKay!!! Crunchies and my Mum..."You silly Goose" she kindly said to me when I called her just now...
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #11515 at 3:06 pm on Jul 28, 2008
"You know you must use this recipe and not the one you have....that was your Gran's recipe and you always prefered my crunchies"!!!!?"
OK, FK friends, I mislead you and although I have used that recipe forever (and last night proved how popular they are) here is the true recipe from my Mum, with her instructions.
2 cups of oats...Jungle is best but any oats will do.
1 cup of sugar, light brown or white.
1 cup of flour.....cake flour....but when I visit you I remember an all purpose flour called Robin something, that will work.
1 cup of coconut....dessicated...well, if you can't get the one we get here, try anything you can get (OKAY MA)
1TBL Syrup, must be golden otherwise it wont tatste as it should, you want crunchies don't you?
1/2 LB butter
1tsp bicarb......don't mess with baking powder, that was Gran's recipe....
Butter the tin and firmly press the mix in, not more than 1/2" thick.
First melt the syrup and butter together and then add the bi-carb to it. It will foam and double up.
Add this to the mix of dry ingredients and stir very well together.
Now be sure to put it into a 300F oven and watch it . It comes away from the sides a bit probally should be about...OH, I don't know, you know I can smell when they are ready.
About 40 mins perhaps.
Leave them to cool in the tin for awhile and cut into squares BEFORE they are cold.
There you are.....I am going to make these tonight as I only got to share the last piece. I want to eat a few too.
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11515. OKay!!! Crunchies and my Mum..."You silly Goose" she kindly said to me when I called her just now... - joanietoo - 3:06pm on 07/28/08 (5)
- How big is the pan that you use? [NT] - Cindy - 4:54pm on 07/28/08
- I could swear I've had a version of this using cornflakes, is that familiar to anyone else? [NT] - Curious1 - 5:19pm on 07/28/08
- Yes, but with peanut butter. Many, many decades ago. [NT] - Marg CDN - 5:34pm on 07/28/08
- Joanie, I hope and your mom have a cookbook in the works... Reading this recipe was a hoot. :) [NT] - ErininPrague - 7:28am on 07/29/08
- Oops, I meant "I hope you and your mom..." [NT] - ErininPrague - 6:54am on 07/30/08