Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Julia's Stuffed Mushrooms
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #35 at 12:32 am on Dec 4, 2007
from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
12 fresh mushrooms 2 to 3 inches in diameter (or 1 lb. smaller mushrooms), stemmed, stems reserved and minced
2-3 Tbs. butter
Salt and pepper
3 Tbs. minced onions
2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. oil
3 Tbs. minced shallots or scallions
1/4 cup Madeira (I've used sherry or vermouth)
1 Tbs. dry bread crumbs (I use a handful of fresh)
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 Tbs. minced parsley
1/2 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
Salt and pepper
2 to 3 Tbs. whipping cream
3 Tbs. grated Swiss cheese
2 Tbs. melted butter.
Preheat oven to 375*F.
Brush the mushroom caps with melted butter and arrange in a baking dish, hollow side up. Season with salt and pepper.
Saute the onions in butter and oil for 3 to 4 minutes without browning. Add the shallots or scallions and minced mushroom stems. Turn heat up and saute until mushroom liquid is absorbed. Add the Madeira and boil it down rapidly until it has almost evaporated.
Off heat, mix in the bread crumbs, cheeses, parsley, tarragon, and seasonings. Add just enough cream, a spoonful at a time, to moisten the mixture but keep it sufficiently stiff to hold its shape in a spoon. Correct seasoning.
Fill the mushroom caps with the stuffing. Top each with a pinch of cheese and drops of melted butter. (May be done ahead to this point.)
Bake in the upper third of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until caps are tender and stuffing has browned lightly on top.
Other messages in this thread:
- 35. Wine Tasting Menu - Joe - 8:40pm on 12/03/07 (15)
- Smoked Salmon and Sorrel Tart [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 8:52pm on 12/03/07
- Julia's Stuffed Mushrooms - Joe - 12:32am on 12/04/07
- Black Olive and Green Olive Tapenades [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:34am on 12/04/07
- Red Pepper "Tapenade" [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:36am on 12/04/07
- Brie with Fig Jam and Toasted Walnuts [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:40am on 12/04/07
- Pink Peppercorn Feta [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:41am on 12/04/07
- Warm Duck Salad [LINK] - Joe - 12:49am on 12/04/07
- Baked Polenta with Porcini Tomato Sauce [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:50am on 12/04/07
- Asparagus Tips wrapped in Prosciutto - Joe - 12:54am on 12/04/07
- County Pâté [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:56am on 12/04/07
- Lamb Skewers with Mustard and Rosemary [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:57am on 12/04/07
- Pear (or apple) Tarte Tatin - Joe - 10:56am on 12/04/07
- Lemon Bars [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 10:57am on 12/04/07
- Chocolate Grand Marnier Truffles [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 10:59am on 12/04/07
- Ginger Almond Wafers [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 11:01am on 12/04/07